In this step by step tutorial, I will show you how easy it is to make your own home made glazed doughnuts. It requires a little patience but the end result is so yummy. Don't forget to keep those centers to make sugar cinnamon coated doughnut holes as well. Have fun with the recipe and make it a family activity. Tweak the recipe by adding some sprinkles or add food coloring to your glaze. Kids will just love helping you out.
For more recipe ideas or cake decorating subscribe to my YouTube channel for FREE by simply following the link below.
Ingredients for doughnuts
- 1 egg room temperature
- 2 tbsp. of sugar
- 1 1/3 cups of warm milk
- 2 tbsp. of melted butter
- 1 tsp. of vanilla extract
- 1tsp. of salt
- 1 tbsp. of instant dry yeast (if you are using active dry yeast, mix it with your warm milk)
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups of all purpose flour
Ingredients for the glaze
- 2 tbsp. of melted butter
- 1 tsp. of vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups of powder sugar
- 5 tbsp. of warm milk
Ingredients for the cinnamon coating
- 1cup of granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp. of cinnamon powder
- Using your electrical mixer, beat your egg on low speed and add your sugar, milk, butter and vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, combine salt, yeast and flour. If you are using active dry yeast you will need to activate first in your warm milk for 10 minutes. (until your milk doubles in size) If not, simply add it to your dry ingredients.
- Gradually add your dry ingredients, making sure to mix well.
- When your dough starts to thicken and you can not mix it anymore with your mixer, transfer it to your work surface.
- Knead until it becomes smooth and no longer sticky.
- Transfer your dough into a greased bowl.
- Cover your bowl with plastic or a humid towel for 1 hour.
- Once your dough has risen, transfer it onto your working surface.
- Divide your dough in 2 portions. (leaving half in your greased bowl)
- Flour your work surface and roll out your dough.
- Cut your dough using a doughnut cutter (if you do not have one, simply use a round cookie cutter and a smaller one for the hole)
- Place your doughnuts onto a greased cookie tray.
- Keep your doughnut holes and place them onto a greased cookie tray as well.
- Cover them once again with plastic for 15 minutes and allow them to rise one more time.
- Fry a maximum of 6 at the time in preheated vegetable oil until they become a light golden color. (same for doughnut holes)
- Meanwhile place 2 paper towel sheets onto a plate.
- Once fried, transfer them onto the paper towel. (the paper towel will absorb the excess oil)
- Dip your fried doughnuts in your sugar glaze. (combine all your ingredients and mix well until right consistency)
- Transfer them to a rack until the dripping stops and the glaze has set.
Sugar cinnamon coated dough
- In a bowl, mix together sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll your centers in your cinnamon mixture and coat your entire dough.
Have a look at this video as well!